Sunday, January 17, 2010

An Owl Card

Hey Everyone! Its no secret that I love owls. One of the many great things about owls are that they are a perfect image for the oh-so-difficult cards for guys. I think they have the potential to be quite manly. :) For example check out this card I put together.

One of my favorite tricks to coloring images quickly is to start with a colored piece of paper or one that has a slight pattern (like the owl) and just do the shading with a slightly darker colored pencil. Its colored in no time!

I also cut out the branch free hand. Its something similar to what Jennifer McGuire did a while back. I found that the it actually looked better the messier my cutting was! How great is that? The little bumps and imperfections make it look more realistic.


6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Very cool looking card and very warm colors too, great tip for fast coloring on your images, I'll have to keep that in mind!

Alice Wertz said...

that owl is so cute with the party hat and the gift!! great manly card, Ashley!

Lin said...

Cute card, Ashley! And thanks for putting the thought into my head to use owls for masculine cards - you're right! I usually struggle with them, and now I'll have another option.

Virginia L. said...

You are not alone in using owl for manly card! My daughter did just that last year for Father's Day card. It was perfect! Love your tree and the owl with the the is so adorable! Thanks for sharing your talent, Ashley!!

Beverley said...

This is a really cool card and perfect for a guy. It fits the CARDS blog challenge this week also! Thanks for sharing.

Christine Blain said...

Love this, Ashley. The earthy colours are right down my alley, and yep, it looks manly!